This project is read-only.

Quadrilateral and other types of elements

Sep 7, 2015 at 1:17 PM
Hi,

Again; thank you for the great work on this project. It is really fun to see something this complex ported so easily and made so user friendly.

I am wondering what the plan for the project is. It would have been great to have for instance quadrilateral elements as well as triangles.

I've seen that you have made a quadratic element class in the documentation, but as far as I can understand this only uses the existing triangle mesh to generate quadratic elements. Is it then possible to get a structured grid?

Best regards
Isdas
Sep 10, 2015 at 1:55 PM
Edited Sep 10, 2015 at 7:06 PM
I started implementing a quadmesh conversion based on MeshKit a while back, but didn't finish. The algorithms are described in Jaal: Engineering a high quality all-quadrilateral mesh generator. MeshKit is LGPL licensed, so it won't be a part of Triangle.NET.

I don't think I'll work on this anytime in the near future, but feel free to take the code as a starting point:
QuadMesh-2015-09-10.zip

Related discussion: Question about future plans quadrilateral mesh generation

I made the quadratic elements example to show how to work with the mesh topology information. It's not supposed to be used in production and in Beta 4 you would possibly use the Otri struct directly.

By structured gird you mean dividing the (quadratic) element into its corresponding 4 triangles? That's not supported by Triangle.NET, but shouldn't be too hard to implement.

Anyways. If you decide to work on these subjects, feel free to come back here. Any contribution will be welcome ...
Apr 28 at 10:41 PM
Is there any news about quadmesh? Isdas pointed out that there is a quadratic element class in triangle.net, can you point me to an example as how to use it.

Best Regards.

Victor